I LOVE the Fall!
The smells, the colors, THE FLAVORS. One of the can't miss tastes of the season is New England's favorite.... the PUMPKIN. The GURU of Gourds.... the SULTAN of Squash!!
Here are a few recipes to enjoy this fall. Quick and easy in the slow cooker, these recipes are kid friendly and fun to make.
RECIPE: PUMPKIN SOUP
2 cans of pumpkin (16oz. - I like Libby's - be sure you have pumpkin, not pumpkin pie)
1 medium yellow onion (chopped small)
1/2 cup celery (chopped small)
3/4 cup carrot (chopped small)
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 tbs butter
- Saute celery, onion, carrot with butter in skillet until onions are translucent
- Place veggies, broth, pumpkin, and spices in slow cooker
- Cook soup on LOW of 7 hours
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream
RECIPE: Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Mix seeds in slow cooker with oil and salt
- Cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until done.
Variations... try them with some sweeter spices like cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Kick it up a notch with some garlic powder or cayenne pepper.