I threw this dish together today for lunch and was NOT disappointed. There are many variations to this recipe depending on taste, so feel free to experiment (for example - use boneless thighs instead of breasts or different vegetables for a different flavor).
3 lbs. chicken breast, cut in pieces
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups water
2 carrots, sliced
1 medium white onion, cut in rings
2 bell peppers cut in strips
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 bottle of BBQ sauce
(The King's Favorites - Johnny Black (see below), Sweet Baby Rays, KC Masterpiece)
- Place all ingredients (except the BBQ sauce) in the slow cooker
- Make certain there is enough water to cover the chicken (preventing drying) - additional water can be added if needed
- Cook on LOW for 4.5 hours, or until chicken is completely cooked, but NOT dry
- Test the chicken by pulling meat apart with two forks. It should shred easily. If it does not, it probably needs some additional time
- Remove chicken and vegetables from slow cooker (discard carrots)
- Drain liquid
- Return chicken to the cooker. With two forks, shred all chicken by pulling meat apart
- Cut onions and peppers into small pieces and combine with shredded chicken
- Add your favorite BBQ sauce*** to desired consistency
- Cook on LOW for 30 minutes to blend flavors
Serve on a toasted bulky roll with potato chips and a pickle.
***Today I used Johnny Black barbeque sauce. AWESOME!!!! This sauce, is the most delicious, most balanced sauce I could think of for this recipe. A good blend of hot and sweet, smoke and honey, with a side of Whiskey... this sauce was the right choice for my BBQ Chicken Sandwich. It can be purchased on-line at the link above, or at Mann Orchards in Methuen, MA.
Be sure to tell them that the King of Crock sent you!